School Garden Facilitator
- School Garden Facilitator
- Work Location
- PS/MS 218, 1220 Gerard Ave., Bronx, NY 10452
- Application Deadline
- Job Description
Job Summary: Under the supervision of the Project STEP/JAM Director, the School Garden Facilitator will teach food justice and gardening lessons at our after-school program for youth ages 10-14. WHEDco’s student garden is approximately 1000 square feet, and includes a hydroponic greenhouse. The WHEDco school garden education classes aims to increase access to locally grown organic produce for our students and beautify the school grounds through greening. This position will create opportunities for youth from diverse backgrounds and the community to learn about growing food, as well as nutrition, cooking, nature, and the environment.
- Teach and assist in growing and maintaining the garden organically through three growing seasons utilizing the hypotonic greenhouse during and winter months and whenever possible.
- Develop a curriculum for the garden and food justice program.
- Provide learning opportunities and engaging lessons.
- Ensure proper behavior and safety in the garden during program hours.
- Experience developing and delivering garden-related instruction.
- Knowledge of and experience with planting, harvesting, and watering procedures.
- Professional experience working with children in a classroom, after-school, or community-based environment leading and organizing group activities. Substantial volunteer work will be considered.
- Demonstrated interest in the field of education, child development or STEM.
- Able to work Monday-Thursday from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM.
- Well-organized, able to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Previous work experience in low-income communities preferred.
- Current, active college enrollment or college degree preferred.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.
All new hires must provide proof of having received at least one dose of a U.S. Food and Drug Administration (“FDA”) authorized COVID-19 vaccine by their first day of employment, and proof of full vaccination within 30 calendar days.
Competitive hourly rate based on experience. This is a part-time, hourly position.
- How to Apply
- To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include “School Garden Facilitator” and your name in subject line.