Youth Engagement Coordinator
GrowNYC is a 50-year-old environmental nonprofit organization - helping more than 3 million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a livable city, one where every person can enjoy a healthier, more sustainable life. In particular, our network of Greenmarkets, Farmstands, Fresh Food Box sites, and GrowNYC Wholesale ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
Position Summary: This full-time position requires advanced knowledge and interest in nutrition education, agriculture, food studies, or a related field, or 3-5 years of relevant professional experience. The Youth Engagement Coordinator will be responsible for overseeing all youth activities including school tours, public programming at food access sites for families, and our Workforce Development youth program, as well as supporting curricula and materials that enhance Food Access initiatives. The position requires a creative, collaborative, enthusiastic individual who will grow existing initiatives, develop new ideas, and expand our offerings.
- Workforce Development
- Develop and lead an 8-week long weekly seasonal (summer) curriculum for our Workforce Development participants, ranging in age from 16-19, featuring an overview of GrowNYC’s core work: food access, conservation, education, and green space.
- Interview and hire 20 participants for our summer Workforce Development program from our network of partner organizations, schools, and alumni from previous program years
- Identify, curate and develop professional development opportunities and skill builder workshops designed to enhance career-readiness for participants
- Develop and foster collaborative relationships with fellow community youth organizations and strategically partner on mission-aligned initiatives
- Design, identify, and track success metrics for program evaluation
- Food Access Education
- Create, expand, and evaluate curricular offerings for K-12 students and families
- Lead Greenmarket school tours, virtually or in person
- Develop relationships with GrowNYC farmers and recruit them to participate in programming, promoting our mission to educate youth on regional agriculture and career paths
- Work with market support staff to ensure safety, materials, and logistics for navigating groups through markets
- Support on-site engagement at various Food Access sites by creating educational materials and programs
- Facilitate tours of Food Access sites for elementary schools participating in Seed to Plate, our nutrition education program for fifth and sixth grade students, serving 2,400 students annually, and Farmstand Business, our curriculum for high school students, virtually or in person, as needed.
- Collaborate and lead programming for corporate and volunteer events focused on regional agriculture
- Develop and lead professional development for high school teachers utilizing our Farmstand Business curriculum
- Supervisory Responsibilities
- Supervise and train tour coordinators, including paid staff and interns, and summer Workforce Development team leaders.
- Supervise Workforce Development youth, including assessing onsite performance and evaluations
- Knowledge of sustainable agriculture and nutrition.
- Experience teaching pre-K through college age students and familiarity with the NYC school system.
- Experience with public programming for families and intergenerational audiences.
- Comfortable leading youth engagement initiatives solo, while able to collaborate with our larger Education team.
- Resourceful, creative, energetic and flexible.
- Excellent communication.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Experience working with diverse constituencies.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- Degree in nutrition education, agriculture, food studies, or a related field ideal but not required
Salary: $50k annually