JOB TITLE: Substance Abuse Counselor
ABOUT THE PROGRAM: Chance for Change, an outpatient substance-use treatment program, primarily serves homeless adults living with the challenges of substance use disorders. Our clinic and “harm reduction” model meet clients where they are on the path to stability and connect with their desire to change in a collaborative, respectful, and empathic environment. Individual and group therapy sessions focus on sobriety as well as helping our clients manage challenges including mental illness, chronic medical conditions, homelessness, unemployment, and other life stressors. Our comfortable “clubhouse” environment invites clients to spend time in a safe sober supportive space. Chance for Change is an OASAS-licensed clinic (part 822) located on Manhattan’s Upper East Side.
REPORTS TO: Director of Outpatient Services
BASIC FUNCTION: The Substance Use Counselor will be responsible for providing integrated dual-diagnosis treatment in the NCS outpatient clinic, addressing the substance use and mental health treatment needs of the program’s clients.
· Provide integrated treatment that addresses the substance-use and mental-health treatment needs of the program’s clients.
· Using a client-centered approach, conduct intake assessments; provide individual, group and, family counseling; and provide case management with a strong emphasis on providing a holistic and harm reduction approach to treatment and recovery.
· With the Director of Outpatient Services, maintain a safe, welcoming, supportive environment that supports clients in taking steps along the path to recovery.
· Lead therapeutic and recreational groups and activities that contribute to clients’ overall well-being.
· Maintain concise and accurate client records as well as ensure the timely input of information into the AWARDS client data system and other reporting sources
· Develop treatment plans, discharge plans and all other records and documentation required by NYS OASAS part 822 regulations and the NCS policy and procedures manual.
· Participate in all Chance for Change client and volunteer activities including ensuring that the program is appropriately prepared for client meals, award ceremonies, holiday events and other program activities.
· Monitor toxicologies, as needed.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Associate’s degree required. Bachelor’s degree in social work or a counseling-related field preferred.
· Licensure such as LMSW or LMHC or a CASAC-T or CASAC certification required
· Experience working with the dually diagnosed adult population is required.
· Understanding of, and belief in, the harm reduction model
· Familiarity with ways that homelessness can interact with substance use and mental health challenges
· Knowledge of and experience with the NYC housing placement and resource system is an asset.
· Computer proficiency is required.
· Excellent written and verbal English communication skills; Bilingual in Spanish is a plus.
· Prior experience working with AWARDS client data system is a plus
· Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for NCS’s mission
Salary: $50,000.00 – $60,000.00 per year
Supplemental pay types: Signing Bonus
· Regularly required to use near sight vision to operate a computer.
· Regularly required to use routine office equipment including a computer and a telephone.
Don’t check off every box in the requirements listed above? Please apply anyway! Studies have shown that marginalized communities—including women, LGBTQ+, and people of color—are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. NCS is dedicated to building an inclusive, diverse, equitable, and accessible workplace that fosters a sense of belonging—so if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t perfectly fit every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to still consider applying. You may be just the right candidate for this role or another one of our openings!
Equal Opportunity Employer
Neighborhood Coalition for Shelter is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. NCS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit a cover letter including salary requirements and a resume to email@example.com