The NYC Department of Sanitation is the world’s largest sanitation department. DSNY collects more than 10,500 tons of residential and institutional garbage and 1,760 tons of the recyclables — each day. While efficiently managing solid waste and clearing litter or snow from 6,300 miles of streets, the Department is also a leader in environmentalism — committing to sending zero waste to landfills.
The primary responsibilities will include the following, but will not be limited to:
• Repairs and maintains pneumatic thermostat and controls
• Installs boilers, feedwater, vacuum and condensate equipment, fuel oil piping and related auxiliary equipment
• Removes, repairs and reinstalls pumps
• Stops and repairs leaks as they occur
• May work with welding and brazing equipment
• Maintains and replaces all system pipes and valves as needed
• Completes reactive and preventative maintenance paperwork
• Assists in emergencies as needed
• Works according to the schedule prepared by the supervisor
• Returns all work areas to a clean, neat, orderly and safe condition
• Learns, understands and complies with fire, safety, and other emergency practices
• Participates in training directed at increasing maintenance and other job-related skills
• Performs related work as required
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. Five years of full-time satisfactory experience as a Steam Fitter; or
2. Not less than two and one-half years of such experience plus sufficient full-time experience as a helper or apprentice or relevant education or training to make up a total of five years of acceptable experience. Six months of experience will be credited for each year of apprenticeship or helper experience or for each year of completed approved trade or vocational school training in the steam fitting field.
3. For appointment to certain agencies, candidates must possess a Motor Vehicle Driver License valid in the State of New York. The license must be maintained for the duration of employment.
As a current or prospective employee of the City of New York, you may be eligible for federal loan forgiveness programs and state repayment assistance programs. You may check the eligibility for programs and how to apply at nyc.gov/studentloans.
PLEASE SUBMIT RESUME WITH COVER LETTER TO:
Must apply via www.nyc.gov/careers or city employees apply via Employee Self Services.
This position is also open to qualified persons with a disability who are eligible for the 55-a Program. Please indicate at the top of your resume and cover letter that you would like to be considered for the position through the 55-a Program.
TBD / 40 hours per week
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.