Reports To: Senior Operations & Facilities Manager
Job Overview: Security Officer is responsible for security and safety operations within the museum facility. This position will be an integral part of the Operations Department.
Responsibilities & Duties:
The Security Officer will serve as the primary security representative for the Operations Department and will be responsible for the following, but not limited to:
- Open and securely close facility entrances and exits
- Safeguard museum staff, visitors, exhibits, equipment, belongings, and other assets
- Assist with building evacuations during emergencies
- Direct and engage with Emergency Services during emergencies (including NYPD, FDNY, etc.)
- Monitor live, closed circuit security camera feeds
- Report problems, suspicious activity, and other hazards to the Operations Manager
- Write and review Incident Reports and Daily Security Reports
- Provide security and crowd control during day-to-day museum operations, as well as occasional after-hour museum events
- Provide friendly and welcoming interactions with museum visitors, including those with disabilities, regarding exhibits and basic wayfinding around the museum
- Attend and assist with training sessions relating to Safety and Emergency Preparedness conducted by the Operations Department
The Security Officer must possess and maintain the following qualifications and competencies.
- Physical Abilities: Must be comfortable moving around alot for this busy, fast paced job; ability to stand and/or patrol for long periods; able to lift 50 lbs
- Certifications/Licenses: Possess or obtain certification by New York State as a Registered Security Guard; CPR/AED/First-Aid training is a plus
- Knowledge: Develop and maintain knowledge of Security Camera Systems and knowledge of Fire, Safety, and Evacuation Protocols
- Detail Oriented: Demonstrate an ability to work independently, with minimal supervision. Able to follow directions enthusiastically, and accurately.
- Decision Making: Demonstrate the ability to perform with discretion and integrity; analytical skills, creative problem solving, and ability to make and implement decisions quickly and soundly.
- Communications: Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication, public speaking and presentation skills. (Bilingual Spanish preferred).
- Values & Culture Fit: Consistent demonstration of passion and commitment to children and families of the Bronx. Fosters a connection to the Bronx community.
- Availability/Schedule: Ability to travel daily to the facility in the Bronx, as well as occasional outdoor and offsite events; ability to oversee security operations as scheduled and for special events, including during weekends, holidays, and evenings as needed. Must be able to work a Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday schedule consistently.
Salary Description$15-$20/hour commensurate with experience