GrowNYC is a 53-year-old environmental nonprofit organization, helping more than 3 million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a livable city – one where every person can enjoy a healthier, more sustainable life.
- Our network of Greenmarkets, Farmstands, Fresh Food Box sites and Wholesale ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
- We blanket the five boroughs with resources like textile and food scrap collection, Stop ‘N’ Swaps, and free trainings to make waste reduction easy for all.
- We build and support community and school gardens through volunteer days, technical assistance, training, grants and more.
- We provide 70,000 children each year with programs that provide meaningful interactions with the natural environment.
Note to applicants on COVID safety: GrowNYC is committed to stopping the spread of Covid-19. All new hires are encouraged to take the COVID vaccine (as defined by the CDC) and we ask to submit proof to our HR department within 30 days of hire. Employees may be required to follow COVID safety protocols as the situation evolves, which may include daily health screenings, mask wearing, and other mitigation measures as deemed necessary by local conditions, mandates, and applicable guidelines.
$250 signing bonus for new hourly hires. New hires will receive the signing bonus after 60 days of active employment. Terms and conditions apply.
Seasonal Greenmarket Site Lead – Bilingual
Site Leads are Greenmarket’s representatives to the public. During the season which runs from April to November, they work to build healthy communities and create an environment where local farmers can sell their products and keep their farms viable. The Site Lead is responsible for performing a variety of tasks from three equally important pillars – operations, promotions, and food access.
Seasonal Site Lead Responsibilities (Include but are not limited to)
- Coordinate market layout by overseeing the placement of farmers’ tents and vehicle parking to align with the market’s setup.
- Set up and break down GrowNYC information tent, folding tables, and perform other manual tasks
- Complete daily reports and other site-specific paperwork by assigned deadlines
- Follow and enforce market rules and regulations
- Address and resolve disputes that may arise between farmers, customers, and the public
- Attend weekly meetings with supervisor and on-going trainings, as needed
- Perform SNAP/EBT, debit/credit, and cash transactions at sites and maintain accurate records
- Manage at-market nutrition incentive currencies and ensure that financials are balanced after each shift
- Educate customers on a variety of Food Access and incentive programs
Promotions & Outreach
- Develop and maintain relationships with customers, community leaders, city employees, local merchants, etc. while representing Greenmarket in different languages
- Work with supervisor to plan at-market promotional events (varies by site)
- Perform outreach in the local community to promote markets and the use of SNAP/EBT at market
- Must be able to converse in Spanish, Cantonese or Mandarin
- Willing to work every scheduled shift throughout the April-November season, including weekends and holidays
- Early riser who enjoys working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Strong communicator who enjoys talking and working with people of all backgrounds
- Works well both independently and as a member of a team
- Comfortable working with the public in a variety of NYC neighborhoods
- Valid NYS driver’s license, and willingness to drive cargo van or small box truck throughout NYC is ideal but not required.
Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and stand for periods of up to 10 hours. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
A Greenmarket shift consists on average 8 hours of on-site work (plus an additional 1-3 hours of office work per shift). Shifts start as early as 6AM, with the majority falling on weekends. Seasonal Site Leads will work a flexible schedule with a minimum of 1 shift per week and a maximum of 3 shifts per week. Placement is determined by the availability and logistical needs of the markets. Expect to work between 15-35 hours per week. The season runs from April – November.
The position is a non-exempt, part-time, variable hourly and a union eligible position. It pays $20 – $21 per hour and includes only statutory benefits.
Greenmarket operates sites in all five boroughs – all locations are outdoors.
Qualified candidates for the Seasonal Site Lead position should submit a resume, and three references. Interviews will take place on a rolling basis. Due to the volume of employment applications received, GrowNYC is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate. No phone calls or recruiters, please.
P.O. Box 2327
New York, NY 10272
For additional information, please see our website: grownyc.org
For field staff positions, GrowNYC will relay important information to you on an ongoing basis. You will need to access certain platforms (apps) to communicate with your team. We require a phone/smartphone that has access to the internet/email and call/text at the time of hire.
GrowNYC is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer and hires without regard to race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation or physical disability.