Reports to: Program Director
Please note that Phipps Houses and its related entities along with Phipps Neighborhoods, Inc. has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees. As a condition of employment, all employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
The Nurse will be responsible for the coordination and direct oversight of the medical services. The nurse will be responsible for the smoking cessation, diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, HIV, AIDS, and substance abuse workshops, medication compliance, and one on one session with each client.
- Coordinating the care of clients;
- Liaising with clients, relatives and fellow professionals in the community treatment team and attending regular meetings to review and monitor clients’ care plans;
- Visiting clients in their home to monitor progress; •Assessing clients’ behavior and psychological needs; •Identifying whether and when clients are at risk of harming themselves or others.
- Assessing and talking to clients about their problems and discussing the best way to plan and deliver their care;
- Ensuring the correct administration of medication, including injections, and monitoring the results of treatment;
- Responding to distressed clients in a non-threatening manner and attempting to understand the source of distress;
- Applying ‘de-escalation’ techniques to help people manage their emotions and behavior;
- Preparing and participating in group and/or one-to-one therapy sessions, both individually and with other health professionals;
- Providing evidence-based individual therapy, such as cognitive behavior therapy for depression and anxiety;
- Encouraging clients to take part in art, drama or occupational therapy where appropriate;
- Organizing social events aimed at developing clients social skills;
- Preparing and maintaining client records;
- Producing care plans and risk assessments for individual clients;
- Ensuring that the legal requirements appropriate to a particular setting or group of clients are observed;
- Working with clients families and helping to educate them and the client about their mental health problems;
- Promoting a ‘recovery’ based approach to care. Other duties as assigned by the Program Director or the Senior Director of Community Resources.
- Bachelors/Associates in nursing or alternate field
- NYS License as a Registered Nurse or LPN required
- Experience working in the health field.
Verbal Communication Expert
Detail Oriented: Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well
Dedicated: Devoted to a task or purpose with loyalty or integrity
Bachelors or better in Nursing.
NYS Registered Nurse
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)