Reporting to both the Program Coordinator and Associate Program coordinator, the Group Leader serves as a direct line staff member during programming hours.
Schedule: 8 AM to 6 PM, Monday through Friday from July 5th to August 19th.
Weekly Working Hours: 40 hours
Schedule: 11 AM to 6 PM, Monday through Thursday, Friday 8 AM to 6 PM, from July 5th to August 12th.
Weekly Working Hours: 35 hours
After School Programming
Schedule: 2 PM to 6 PM, Monday through Friday from September 2022 to June 2023.
Weekly Working Hours: 20 hours__
Schedule: 2 PM to 6PM, Monday through Friday from September 2022 to June 2023.
Weekly Working Hours: 20 hours
The Group Leader will be responsible for leading in one or more STEAM discipline areas, physical activities or other activities that develop and strengthen academic, physical, and social skills. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, providing academic support, facilitating activities, and developing lessons that are aligned with our Creative Youth Development (CYD) framework.
The Group Leader will be supported by a team of education professionals including the Program Coordinator, the Associate Program Coordinator, the Education Specialist, the Associate Director of Educational Excellence, Program Aides, Teaching Artists, and Interns/Volunteers.
- Supervise young people transitioning from the school day into the after-school program, track attendance, oversee snack distribution, transitions to activities, and dismissal.
- Create and maintain a structured safe space (classroom/studio) that supports learning, growing, and supports social-emotional well-being.
- Track young people’s daily attendance, behavior, and incident reports.
- When working with a teaching artist, appropriately support their work and encourage young people to participate and engage in the activity.
- Perform additional duties as directed or as needed.
- In coordination with the Education Specialist, develop engaging and age-appropriate lesson plans and instructional material for STEAM, civic engagement, physical recreation, arts & crafts, and literacy activities.
- Develop unit outline curriculum for activities like Civic Engagement in alignment with the unit framework and theme created by the Education Leadership Team.
- Actively participate and attend weekly/bi-weekly/monthly team meetings and one-on-one sessions.
- Build positive relationships with young people to establish positive connections and rapport.
- Facilitate lessons in at least one or more of the following activities: STEAM, civic engagement, physical recreation, arts & crafts, and literacy activities that encourage growth and exploration.
- Model the principles of CYD in the classroom/studios and in the workplace.
- Co-facilitate team training and meetings in collaboration with the Program Coordinator, Associate Program Coordinator, and Education Specialist.
- High school diploma required; currently enrolled in college, preferably in the education or youth development field.
- A minimum of 2 years of direct experience working with youth under 13 years of age.
- The position will require you to complete a minimum of 30 hours of paid training/professional development workshops that focus on youth development, safety, mandated reporter, social-emotional learning, lesson planning, and facilitation.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Eager to work in a fast-paced, arts and education-focused environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively as a team with all levels of staff flexibility, and excellent communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills. Ability to work collaboratively, quickly, and under pressure—with a sense of humor.
- Highly motivated, detail-oriented, able to work independently, and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Integrity, professional discretion, and professionalism.
- Experience and/or willingness to work with children with educational or emotional special needs.
- Enjoy working with children with an understanding of youth development.
- Bilingual Spanish/English is a plus.
- Proof of COVID vaccination is required for this position.
- Paid Sick Days after 120 days of employment.
- 403b Retirement Plan (Employee Contributions Only)
- Pre-tax Healthcare Flexible Spending Account
- Pre-tax Transit Account
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $20.00 per hour
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health savings account
- Monday to Friday
All employees, interns, and volunteers are required to provide proof of COVID vaccination. Face mask-wearing is optional.
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- writing lesson plans: 2 years (Required)
- classroom facilitation: 2 years (Required)
- working with school aged youth: 2 years (Required)
- Spanish (Preferred)
- CPR Certification (Preferred)
- First Aid Certification (Preferred)
Work Location: Multiple Locations