Position Summary: Under the direct supervision of the After-School Program Director and Education Coordinator, the ELA specialist will plan and facilitate engaging literacy unit lessons. ELA Specialists will be supported by the Education Coordinator in identifying age-appropriate texts and planning engaging lessons and learning activities. This part time position requires availability to teach Mondays through Thursday from 4:00PM to 5:00PM, with flexible planning hours.
- Under the supervision of the After-School Program Director and Education Coordinator, and
working in conjunction with in-classroom staff, supervise assigned group of 20 to 28 school
students during after- school program hours.
- Create and facilitate engaging developmentally appropriate lesson plans and implement activities
designed to develop students’ literacy skills that meet and exceed NYS standards.
- Maintain health and safety protocols at all times during program.
- Incorporate projects that foster academic, emotional, cultural, and artistic growth into teaching
- Attend all required staff/planning meetings
- Minimum two years’ professional experience working with children in a classroom, after-school,
or community-based environment leading/organizing group activities. Substantial volunteer work
will be considered.
- Experience creating and delivering lesson plans in formal and/or in-formal settings.
- Strong academic skills in English and a love of literature.
- Demonstrated interest in the field of education, child development or literacy.
- Familiarity with literacy and whole language teaching methodology desirable.
- Able to work Monday through Thursdays from 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM.
- Well organized, able to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.
- Current, active college enrollment or college degree preferred.
- Previous work experience in low-income communities.
Salary: $27-30/hr, based on experience