College Assistant – Various Departments
- Under supervision, performs miscellaneous clerical, administrative, research or other work related to the operation of a College or other unit where such work is required on a part-time basis or for a period of limited duration.
- There is one Assignment Level for this position. All personnel perform related work. This specification describes typical assignments; related duties may be assigned as needed.
- Maximum tenure for any employee in this hourly position is 1040 hours per year.
- Performs routine clerical work; may answer and attend to telephone calls; maintain records, operate office machines (such as copier), sort and distribute mail, issue keys and identity cards, act as messenger, and perform related tasks as required.
- Types letters, memoranda, charts, and similar materials.
- Acts as cashier.
- Assists in statistical or research activities. May collect and compile data, code data for computer entry, perform data entry, and run computer reports.
- Performs clerical library work, such as sorting and shelving books, performing data entry into library systems, or binding books and periodicals.
- Assists in instructional programs, including tutoring and assisting students in areas such as reading and mathematics. May assist in speech and hearing therapy, provide musical accompaniment, and/or distribute and collect physical education equipment.
- Enters and maintains departmental records such as inventory control records, rosters, directories, and schedules.
- May operate computers, computer software, and other electronic equipment in performing assigned tasks.
Campus Specific Responsibilities:
- Greets diverse customers, visitors, and others in a professional manner; screens visitors and phone calls as directed; refers people to appropriate staff or to other offices as appropriate; takes accurate and complete messages; forwards messages in a timely manner; and maintains bulletin boards/displays, office literature and computer area.
- Responds to routine questions and requests from clients and staff; distributes forms and applications; may review returned documents for completeness; clarifies requests; provides prompt service; explains need for any delays or additional information; keeps visitors, clients and staff informed of progress; and returns calls as appropriate.
- Uses standard computer software and other office technology to input, format and transcribe documents; makes photocopies and sends faxes; and may input and format spreadsheets.
- Maintains paper and/or electronic files using established procedures and retrieves files as requested.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal communication and organizational skills
- Ability to read, write, and speak fluent English
- Ability to take initiative when necessary and willingness to learn
- Strong computer skills (MS Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint) highly desired
- Flexible with availability
Salary: $15.61-$25.51/hr (Compensation is based on department budget)