Brooklyn and Bronx Employment Specialist
Position Summary: HOPE is seeking an Employment Specialist for the Bronx & Brooklyn who will provide dedicated one-on-one support job search and job connection for both current students and returning graduates. The position reports to the Director of Employment and Business Services. This is a hybrid position, working out of both of HOPE’s offices in Downtown Brooklyn and
South Bronx locations at 1 Smith Street and 1360 Garrison Avenue at least twice weekly.
The Employment Specialist will work with students in both Brooklyn and Bronx at the end of the classroom phase of the program to understand their career plans, and review their baseline resumes, cover letters, and interview skills. Once the classroom phase ends, the Employment Specialist will work with students to prepare them to search for work and connect them to jobs
along their career pathways in a variety of sectors, including maintenance, construction and remote customer service. When graduates return seeking employment, the Employment Specialist will connect them to new work.
The position will work closely with a peer team of Employment Specialists serving all HOPE programs in Brooklyn and the Bronx sites as well as the Business Development team.
- Student Services
- Build relationships and manage a caseload of up to 100 students and graduates who complete programs annually, ensuring that 80% of them connect to work within 90 days and stay in their job for at least 90 days.
- Through the use of Motivational Interviewing and a holistic, student-centered approach, provide consistent and high quality employment-focused engagements to ensure that students are qualified candidates for the job opportunities that they seek. More specifically,
- Develop an engaged coaching relationship with students and graduates.
- Partner with students and graduates on their short and long term career goals.
- Ensure all have a complete and updated employment portfolio, including resumes, cover letters, and references, and support in tailoring materials and practicing for interviews for open positions and ensure they are equipped for self-directed search.
- Assist students and graduates in understanding their potential career pathways.
- Screen for HOPE-developed internships and job opportunities with trusted employers.
- Maintain communication with students regarding applications, interviews, hiring, new hire follow-up, and documentation for reporting to the Director.
- Secure proof of employment for new hires and facilitate a smooth handoff to the Retention Associate.
- Support a culture of #HOPE4Life where program completers remain engaged with HOPE and pay it forward when they can.
- Student Feedback and Data Entry
- As part of a student-centered organization seeking to successfully match students to sustainable career pathways, share student and employer feedback with the Director and other teams.
- Conduct timely data entry in Salesforce and document preparation for soft and hard copy files on services and outcomes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- At least two years of case management or workforce development experience.
- Demonstrated ability to support clients in meeting their personal goals. (This position is measured against placement rate.)
- Excellent oral and written organizational and communication skills.
- Experience documenting interactions with clients within a 48 hour period and using a CRM (HOPE uses Salesforce.)
- Google Suite, Zoom and Internet research proficiency.
- Ability to build rapport with a wide range of clients and practice client-centered counseling.
- Must be a strong team player who works well independently.
- Problem solver, flexible and adaptable.
- Experience in developing processes is preferred.
- Ability to work in both the Bronx and Brooklyn offices.
Salary: $45-55k annually