Please note that Phipps Houses and its related entities along with Phipps Neighborhoods, Inc. has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees. As a condition of employment, all employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Phipps Houses is one of the nation’s oldest and largest not-for-profit developer/owners of affordable housing. It is a multi-faceted real estate organization, involved in the development, finance, construction and asset management of new and rehabilitated multi-family housing for low to middle income New Yorkers. Through its subsidiary, Phipps Houses Services, Inc., it conducts residential and some commercial property management, and it’s tax exempt affiliate, Phipps Neighborhoods, provides human services to its development communities.
Salary Range: $65,000 to $75,000 and commensurate with education, training, and experience
This position reports to the Human Resources Manager and will be responsible for:
- Providing assistance in the administration of the non-union employee benefit plans (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & ADD, FSA, HSA, LTD, Transit, 401(k) etc.)
- Act as a liaison with benefit plan vendors for processing claims and billings
- Conducting new hire benefit orientations
- Providing support in the administration of new eligibility benefit enrollments, changes and terminations for all employee benefit programs
- Collaborating with the Benefits Manager in the processing of short-term and long-term disability claims
- Family and Medical leave (FMLA) administration
- Paid Faily Medical Leave (PFL) administration
- Process workers compensation claims
- COBRA administration
- Auditing and processing monthly vendor bills
- Preparing and maintaining of employee personnel and benefit files
- Running reports from HRIS system as required
- Regularly interacting with the payroll department and management staff regarding employee information and action requests
- Communicating policies and procedures
- Supporting the Benefits Manager in conducting annual open enrollment
- Work with Benefits Manager, Human Resources Manager and Vice President/Human Resources on various projects and perform other duties as assigned
BA/BS in Human Resources Management or related discipline, or equivalent experience is preferred however 60 college credits or more is required. A minimum of 3 years experience in benefit administration required. The successful candidate will have a proven ability to work independently and as part of a team with the skill to balance multiple projects successfully. Superior administrative and computer skills with a strong knowledge and use of Excel, Word, and HRIS systems essential.
The successful candidate must possess very strong benefit administration skills, be detail oriented and able to multi-task. This is a high demand job requiring the skill to assess and prioritize work projects while collaborating with other departments and team members.
Must have excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to exercise sound judgment, make effective decisions in the best interest of the organization and maintaining required confidentiality and discretion is essential.
Up to date knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements both adopted and pending affecting employee benefit programs, including ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, Section 125, Workers’ Compensation, Medicare, Social Security and DOL requirements.
MS Word Advanced
Verbal Communication Advanced
Written Communication Advanced
MS Excel Advanced
Team Player: Works well as a member of a group
Detail Oriented: Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well
Dedicated: Devoted to a task or purpose with loyalty or integrity
Bachelors or better in Human Resources Mgmt.
Some college or better in Business Administration.
3 years: A minimum of 3 years experience in benefit administration required.
3 years: Up to date knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements both adopted and pending affecting employee benefit programs, including ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, Section 125, Workers’ Compensation, Medicare, Social Security and DOL requirements
3 years: Superior administrative and computer skills with a strong knowledge and use of Excel, Word, and HRIS systems essential