The Women’s Housing and Economic Development Corporation (WHEDco) is a community
development organization founded on the radically simple idea that all people deserve to live in
healthy, vibrant communities. We build award-winning, sustainable, affordable homes – but our
work is not over when our buildings are complete. WHEDco believes that to be successful, affordable
housing must be anchored in strong communities of which residents can be proud. WHEDco’s
mission is to create and bridge access to resources in the South Bronx that support thriving
neighborhoods – from high-quality early education and after-school programs, to fresh, healthy food,
cultural programming, and economic opportunity. See www.whedco.org for more information.
The Vice President of Programs will join WHEDco’s Vice President team in identifying, assessing, and
implementing strategic priorities for the organization and in guiding its programs to respond to
community needs while creating and responding to opportunities to strengthen, deepen, and/or
grow. The Vice President of Programs will work collaboratively with the Executive and VP teams and
with all Program Directors, Leaders and Managers to integrate our cross-programmatic work and to
focus on addressing program-specific operational needs as they arise. The Vice President of Programs
will be a highly collaborative person who is skilled in leading colleagues through “thinking” processes
and who is able to help programs organize, prioritize, give shape to, and implement crucial
• Collaborate with the Program Directors/ Leaders and Senior Director of Research and
Program Development to guide the planning, development, operations and evaluation of
current programs – including Family Support, Community Development, Preschool, HomeBased Childcare, Housing Services, Youth Education and Development, Bronx Music Heritage Center, Bronx CookSpace Kitchen Incubator – and new program initiatives.
• With the research team, manage performance metrics and output measures to ensure that
WHEDco programs are effective in meeting the needs of targeted families and individuals,
and that WHEDco meets or exceeds governmental and other funding contract requirements
• In collaboration with the Senior Director of Research and Program Development, this
position will (1) promote a culture of using data and information to engage in data-informed
decision-making across the organization; (2) use participatory models of evaluation to engage
staff, communities, and participants in program planning; and (3) participate in collaborative
research opportunities with external partners.
• Ensure client-related problems and issues are addressed with Program Directors and
• Collaborate with the Senior Director of Research and Program Development to explore and
implement new program design where and when appropriate.
• Collaborate with Program Directors/Leaders to determine hiring needs, including
interviewing and helping to select candidates when appropriate.
• Consult with WHEDco’s President on the evaluation of Program Directors/Leaders.
• Collaborate with Program Directors/Leaders and the Director of Human Resources to ensure
that staff receive appropriate professional development opportunities.
• Ensure that Program staff are responsive to the needs of Research, Development and Fiscal
Departments and that these departments are responsive to program needs.
• Support the development and implementation of the organizational strategic plan, including
monitoring progress toward goals and adjusting trajectory as needed.
• With the Program Directors/Leaders, Executive team, and Communications and External
Affairs team, develop organizational advocacy, policy agenda and plan campaigns.
• Collaborate with the Development Department on fundraising proposals when appropriate.
• Collaborate in program and organizational budget processes with the Fiscal Department.
• Proven track record of at least 5 years in program management, design, development and
• Ability to solve problems, find common ground and achieve results in a collaborative
• Ability to represent WHEDco’s programs and policy priorities to external stakeholders,
including elected officials, funders, government agencies, community partners, and
• Proven writing, program modeling, and budgeting skills.
Excellent benefits and competitive salary based on experience.
All new hires must provide proof of having received at least one dose of a U.S. Food and Drug
Administration (“FDA”) authorized COVID-19 vaccine by their first day of employment, and proof of
full vaccination within 30 calendar days.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Vice
President” and your name in the subject line.
WHEDco affords all qualified applicants equal employment opportunities without discrimination
because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, military
status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim
status, or any other category protected by law. WHEDco follows the requirements of the New York
Human Rights Law with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and