Salary Range:$45,000.00 Annually Onwards
Bronxworks helps individuals and families improve their economic and social well-being. From toddlers to seniors, we feed, shelter, teach, and support our neighbors to build a stronger community. In all aspects of our work, we strive for the highest ethical and performance standards and is guided by the belief that people are to be treated with dignity and respect regardless of their present situation or past experiences. We have 50 locations throughout the borough providing a variety of programs that offer assistance in the areas of family, children and youth support, educational services, elder care, homelessness, mental health and workforce development. We are an employer of choice for anyone interested in a meaningful career in the social services field.
BronxWorks is hiring one (1) Superintendent for our Facilities Program.
- Coordinate with Operations Director and Building Management to maintain efficient operation of the physical plant.
- Train and supervise Repair Technicians and Porters.
- Maintain heating and ventilation systems centrally, in office locations, and in individual units.
- Maintain boiler unit and develop schedules for filter cleanings, checks of water levels, and boiler room maintenance.
- Maintain sewer drains and traps.
- Maintain common area lighting, emergency exit doors and lights, laundry facilities, pool areas, outdoor lighting, gymnasium lighting, entrance-ways and other exit doors.
- Maintain all venting systems, including lint traps and dryers in laundry rooms.
- Perform exterminating services on spot basis.
- Participate in and be responsible for stand-by emergency schedule for evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Responsible for the cleaning, painting, and replacement of defective fixtures when an apartment becomes vacant.
- Assist new residents in getting settled and acquainted with the operation of appliances, fixtures, emergency equipment; prepare the apartment move-in inspection form.
- Conduct inspections as required for preventative maintenance program and keep records of such inspections.
- Have knowledge of and label all water and gas shut-offs, sewer clean-outs, standpipe and sprinkler system shut-off valves, etc.
- Have knowledge of swimming pool operations including the testing of chemicals to clean.
- Review maintenance work orders and assign work to porters and repair technicians as necessary.
- Make weekly “roof to cellar” inspections.
- Supervise maintenance staff, assign tasks and review time sheets.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by manager.
- High School Diploma or equivalent credentials.
- Experience in building management.
- Experience initiating and developing building cleaning standards to conform with high levels of expectation.
- On-call for emergencies during non-work hours, evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to work with multiple agency personnel.
- Certification in operation of all fire department standards such as Standpipe with City Mains, Fire Drill Conductor, Maintenance of I side Alarm System and Supervision of Low PSI Oil Burner.
- Proficiency in standards applied by the OSHA and Department of Health for kitchen operation, youth programs and congregate social service programs.
- Proficiency in English required; proficiency in a second language preferred.
- Valid, clean driver’s license from the state in which the bearer resides preferred.
- Pool operator’s certificate preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication, time management and organizational skills are necessary.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and other standard business technology is required.
- FDNY boiler certificate of fitness
- FDNY sprinkler certificate of fitness (if the building has a sprinkler)
- FDNY standpipe certificate of fitness (if the building has a standpipe)
- FDNY fire drill conductor certificate of fitness
- FDNY interior fire alarm maintenance certificate of fitness
- FDNY fire safety coordinator certificate of fitness
- OSHA 10 hour class
- Fully vaccinated against Covid -19
- Ability to use a computer for prolonged periods.
- Ability to lift, pull, push and/or move a minimum of 60 pounds
- Ability to stand, walk, crouch or sit for long periods of time
- Ability to climb five flights of stairs, if required to conduct home visits and/or fieldwork.
- Ability to bend and retrieve objects and/or documents.
- Ability to travel in the boroughs of New York City and its adjacent counties via public transportation.
- Ability to travel for a minimum of 1 mile within a reasonable amount of time and in all types of weather, including inclement weather, if required to conduct home visits and/or field work.
BronxWorks seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity, and in accordance with federal, state and local laws, does not discriminate unlawfully against employees and applicants for employment on the basis of age, color, creed, disability, marital status, military status, national origin (including ancestry), predisposing genetic characteristic, race, sex, gender, actual or perceived sexual orientation (including actual or perceived heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality and asexuality), status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other characteristic protected by law. This commitment applies to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and employee development, placement, promotion, demotion, upgrading, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination.