The SONYC Group Leader will report to the SONYC Program Director and work closely with SONYC staff (including group leaders, school teachers and other staff) to support the SONYC after school program at a middle school in the Bronx serving 120 students. Primary responsibilities include working with a set group of 15 students to support them during various activities, including leading multiple hour-long sessions in a sequential curriculum that engage students, submitting written lesson plans, supporting program goals around attendance and engagement, and fostering a positive, productive environment for program participants. It is important that Group Leaders be able to act as a positive role model and mentor to the young people they work with, and to develop a positive, supportive culture and an effective way of dealing with challenges with students that may arise. The program site is at MS 390 (1930 Andrews Avenue South, Bronx, NY 10453).
- Previous after school experience, ideally with middle school aged youth
- Associate’s Degree at minimum, or currently working toward Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree
- Ability to collaborate effectively with other after school staff
- Must be able to develop hour long lessons and produce lesson plans
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills (Bilingual ability in Spanish is a plus)
- Commitment to fostering a student-centered, safe, respectful, and productive environment for all participants, families and school partners
- All staff must pass DOE fingerprinting clearance, and other related clearances, including proof of COVID-19 vaccination before beginning work.
- Working to support young people’s development in an active, positive way that reflects DY values and school norms
- Supporting program systems including attendance, incentives, safety procedures, special events, etc.
- Providing effective instruction for a structured activity (arts, sports, technology, etc.), including creating written lesson plans, planning projects that help youth build skills over time. Lessons plans must be turned in weekly and reflect progression of activity and student learning; coaching will be available by on-site Educational Specialist
- Punctuality, dependability, and professional communication are highly important to successful operation of program
This is a part time position of approximately 15 hours per week. The program runs Monday through Friday from 2:50 pm to 6:00 pm, and staff hours will be 2:40 pm to 6:00 pm. and runs for 36 weeks from Sept 2022 through June 2023. The Group Leader will average 60 hours per month. $18 per hour.