Seasonal Fresh Food Box Site Staff
GrowNYC is a 53-year-old environmental nonprofit organization – helping more than 3 million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a livable city, one where every person can enjoy a healthier, more sustainable life.
- Our network of Greenmarkets, Farmstands, Fresh Food Box sites and Greenmarket Co. ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
- We blanket the five boroughs with resources like textile and food scrap collection, Stop ‘N’ Swaps, as well as free training to make waste reduction easy for all.
- We build and support community and school gardens through volunteer days, technical assistance, training, grants and more.
- We provide 70,000 children each year with programs that provide meaningful interactions with the natural environment.
Note to applicants on COVID safety: GrowNYC is committed to stopping the spread of Covid-19. All new hires must be able to provide proof that they are at least two weeks post completion of a primary series of COVID vaccines (as defined by the CDC) before beginning work. Employees are also required to follow COVID safety protocols as the situation evolves, which may include daily health screenings, mask wearing, and other mitigation measures as deemed necessary by local conditions, mandates, and applicable guidelines.
$250 signing bonus for new hourly hires after August 1st. New hires will receive the signing bonus after 60 days of active employment. Terms and conditions apply.
Fresh Food Box Program Information
GrowNYC Fresh Food Box sites are part of a network of food access retail sites operated by GrowNYC, along with Greenmarkets and Farmstands. Through Fresh Food Box, customers pay one week in advance for a pre-assembled box of healthy, fresh fruits and vegetables grown primarily by regional farmers and sourced through GrowNYC Wholesale. The program allows customers to take advantage of the cost benefit of buying in a group and enjoy the flexibility of a weekly commitment while supporting farmers.
For the 2023 spring semester, GrowNYC is partnering with CUNY to address student food insecurity by distributing free bags of produce and other local food products at seven campuses: Bronx Community College, Borough of Manhattan Community College, Guttman Community College, Hostos Community College, Kingsborough Community College, LaGuardia Community College, and Queens Community College.Requirements
Seasonal Fresh Food Box Site Staff – CUNY Campuses
Fresh Food Box Site Staff are GrowNYC’s representatives to the public who are responsible for implementing the program described above. They work to build healthy communities and create an environment where New Yorkers can access regionally grown foods that help keep farms viable. The Fresh Food Box Site Staff position is seasonal and could be part-time or full-time depending on applicant availability. The CUNY campus distributions will run for variable lengths of time between February and June. Site staff are cross trained to perform Site Lead roles and may be called upon to do so depending on need.
Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to)
Site Staff Duties/ Responsibilities:
- Set up and break down distribution site in all weather conditions – carrying produce in cases/bags weighing up to 50lbs, setting up tents and folding tables, etc. (site locations may be indoors or outdoors).
- Follow and enforce food safety, COVID, and other GrowNYC rules and regulations.
- Assist in distribution of food to customers and accurately tracking the number of participants.
- Resolve conflict and issues on-site.
- Educate customers on a variety of food access and nutrition benefit programs.
Site Lead Duties/Responsibilities:
- On-site supervision of Fresh Food Box staff and volunteers.
- Supervise daily site operations— product display, merchandising, distribution, customer service, inventorying and site clean-up according to schedule.
- Work with community partner organizations to conduct outreach to promote the Fresh Food Box program.
- Curate produce orders for Fresh Food Box participants.
- Complete site reports and other site-specific paperwork by assigned deadlines.
- Write/compile weekly newsletters featuring the produce contained in each week’s ‘box’ along with recipes and additional relevant information.
- Attend weekly meetings either virtually or in person.
- Interest in food, health, and related issues
- Experience working in retail and/or with sales
- Enjoy talking and working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Works well both independently and as a member of a team
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Find innovative solutions to unexpected problems
- Fluency in other languages, including Spanish, Cantonese, and Mandarin, is a plus.
This position requires working outdoors (depending on the site) and standing for lengthy periods of time, sometimes in extreme temperatures, and in a potentially noisy environment. Fresh Food Box Site Staff should be able to lift heavy equipment and supplies, up to 50lbs.
The schedule has variable hours – a minimum of 8 hours a week to no more than 40 hours per week. Shifts are currently available Tuesdays through Thursdays.
The position is a non-exempt seasonal and variable hourly position. It pays $20/hour when performing a staff role and $21/hour when performing Lead role and includes only statutory benefits.
Apply below for the CUNY Fresh Food Box Site Staff and Lead position with a resume and three references.
Interviews will take place on a rolling basis. The deadline for applications is Friday, February 17th, 2023.
For additional information, please see our website: grownyc.org
P.O. Box 2327
New York, NY 10272
GrowNYC is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer and hires without regard to race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation or physical disability.