BronxWorks helps individuals and families improve their economic and social well-being. From toddlers to seniors, we feed, shelter, teach, and support our neighbors to build a stronger community. In all aspects of our work, we strive for the highest ethical and performance standards and guided by the belief that people are to be treated with dignity and respect regardless of their present situation or past experiences. We have 50 locations throughout the borough providing a variety of programs that offer assistance in the areas of family, children and youth support, educational services, elder care, homelessness, mental health, and workforce development. We are an employer of choice for anyone interested in a meaningful career in the social services field.
BronxWorks is hiring one (1) Kitchen Assistant for our Heights OAC Program.
- Under direction of head cook prepare breakfast, lunch, dinner and brunch (Brunch is served one Saturday of each month).
- Abide by Department of Health and OSHA regulations regarding kitchen hygiene and maintenance.
- Assist with weighing in, receiving and proper storage of food.
- Participate in menu planning.
- Assist with safe handling and proper temperature control of prepared foods.
- Assist with proper functioning and cleaning of kitchen and kitchen equipment, dining areas, and adherence to sanitation standards.
- Ensure the practice of FIFO.
- Assist in checking in of all food orders to ensure accurate delivery of products. Conduct monthly food inventory report.
- Assist the head cook with the supervision and training of interns and volunteers.
- Maintain food usage records and assist in taking monthly inventory.
- Help coordinate activities of staff engaged in food preparation, meal service and cleanup.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by manager.
- High school diploma or equivalent credentials preferred.
- Valid Safe Food Handlers’ Certificate.
- A minimum of at least two years of experience.
- Some experience working in a setting responsible for managing and providing 3 meals based on required standards in a congregate setting is preferred.
- Proficiency in safe operation of all kitchen equipment and Department of Health Regulations.
- Strong oral and written communication, time management and organizational skills are necessary.
- Must be fully Vaccinate Against Covid – 19
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Ability to stand, walk, or sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to climb five flights of stairs, if required to conduct home visits and/or fieldwork.
- Ability to bend and retrieve objects and/or documents.
- Ability to travel in the boroughs of New York City and its adjacent counties via public transportation.
- Ability to travel for a minimum of 1 mile within a reasonable amount of time and in all types of weather, including inclement weather, if required to conduct home visits and/or field work.
BronxWorks seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. BronxWorks is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified candidates and employees pursuant to applicable law. This commitment applies to all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and employee development, placement, promotion, demotion, upgrading, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. If you require reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.