The HOPE Program is a leader among New York City job training providers, upskilling adult
jobseekers (ages 18 – 70) for a broad range of sectors, including a focus on green construction,
maintenance, infrastructure and related careers. We work with individuals facing deep
structural barriers to employment, including histories with the criminal legal system, current
and/or past homelessness, substance abuse disorders, low educational attainment and more.
Our comprehensive approach includes classroom training, industry-recognized certifications,
digital literacy and access, financial literacy and access, mental health support, case
management, paid job training, and our signature “HOPE for Life” approach, which provides a
vital community of support throughout the lives of HOPE graduates’ careers. With measurable
outcomes among the strongest in the industry, HOPE’s impact sits at the intersection of
COVID-19 recovery, racial justice, and building a more equitable future for New York City. Our
work is best described in the words of our graduates, such as Ramon.
HOPE is seeking an HR manager who will further drive HOPE’s focus on its biggest asset, its
staff. The position reports to the Chief Financial & Operations Officer and will supervise and
support an HR Administrator. This is a hybrid position, based at either of HOPE’s locations:
Downtown Brooklyn (1 Smith Street) or the South Bronx (1360 Garrison Avenue).
The HR Manager oversees all human resources activities within HOPE and serves as a
strategic HR business partner to the executive team members in the development of an
excellent workforce. They will assist in developing a staff-oriented company culture that
emphasizes quality, continuous improvement, and high performance. Functions include but are
not limited to:
● Create and update organization policies and procedures related to HR matters in
accordance with relevant laws, ensure compliance with those policies
● Stay current on all employment law/regulations
● Develop a strong hiring pipeline, upkeep job descriptions, help post and pre-screen
potential new staff
● Conduct ongoing research on best sites and platforms (based on specific openings) to
attract most diverse and qualified candidates
● Participate in interviewing and facilitation of communication between HOPE and
potential candidates, provide onboarding training for new hires
● Research, propose and lead staff development opportunities
● Spearhead the performance evaluation process, provide critical and effective feedback
to staff, managers, and executive team to improve individual and team performance
● Review and recommend compensation strategies within the organization’s philosophies
and strategies for new hires, promotions, transfers and equity/merit adjustments
● Manage, advise and execute all HOPE benefits/compensation packages
● Provide direct access to problem solving for staff, facilitate conflict resolution
● Oversee the payroll process
● Participate in DEIA and lead HR related diversity, equity & inclusion initiatives
● Assume HR Administrator’s responsibilities in their absence
● Critical Thinking: Able to understand needs of staff who come to them in crisis, solution
● Attentive to detail, asks clarifying questions to ensure concise record keeping.
● A good listener and effective speaker, able to establish rapport and trust with the HOPE
staff within a short period of time
● Able to tailor training methods to different ways people across the organization learn.
● Demonstrated ability to engage with staff effectively
● Demonstrated experience in working alongside executive leadership
● Proactive self-starter with ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment
● Team player who is able to work independently with minimal supervision
● Flexibility and ability to prioritize
● Ability to handle confidential information with high level of discretion and sensitivity
● College degree and minimum of 3 years of experience in HR, ideally in a not-for-profit
The salary range is $80,000 – $90,000, dependent upon experience. HOPE provides a full
package of benefits including healthcare and dental insurance, retirement plan, competitive
vacation (plus half-day Fridays during summer which is equal to 7.5 additional vacation days,
and 12 paid holidays.
Email cover letter, indicating what position you are applying for and where you saw the listing,
and resume to email@example.com. Resumes unaccompanied by a cover letter will not be
reviewed. No telephone calls, please.
Effective November 1, 2021, HOPE employees are required to provide one-time verification of
vaccination against COVID-19.
The HOPE Program is an equal opportunity employer.