What is our Organization About?
The Bronx Cooperative Development Initiative (BCDI) is a community-led planning and economic
development organization. We are growing a network of community and labor organizations,
anchor institutions, and small businesses to build an equitable, sustainable, and democratic local
economy that creates shared wealth and ownership for low-income people of color.
What Is the Position We Are Looking To Fill?
We are looking for a Grants and Development Assistant who can help BCDI effectively manage
and grow our portfolio of philanthropic grants, public-sector funding , and earned revenue
opportunities. This role will focus primarily on action items for grants, and work planning and
scoping for initiatives in fundraising. It requires someone who is very attentive to details and
results-orientated. The Grants and Development Assistant will report to the Executive Director.
What Are the Job Responsibilities and Duties?
● Research, identify, and vet new grant opportunities, and support key program staff in
approaching new funders
● Track key dates for grant applications, reports, and renewals
● Complete and submit grant applications, in partnership with responsible program staff
● With our Executive Director, ensure completion of all post-award requirements including
signing or registering contracts, writing and submitting grant reports, scheduling funder
check-ins, and applying for renewals
● Ensure timely coordination with other staff to gather relevant materials, including budgets,
project reporting, and success stories, to disseminate to funders
● Support the Executive Director with individual donor development campaigns
● Arrange and prepare for funder site visits, including scheduling, logistics, and materials
● Maintain updated fundraising communications materials, as well as annual programmatic
goals and budgetary needs
What Type of Grants and Development Assistant Are We Looking For?
● Solutions oriented thinker with high attention to detail
● Concise and clear communicator, written and oral
● Ability to work well on a diverse team and collaborate with other team members of all
levels to achieve best results
● Strong researcher
● Rigorous tracker of action items
What Skills Should You Have? What Skills Should You Be Willing To Quickly Learn?
● Tracking in Microsoft Excel and/or Google Sheets
● Using all functions of Asana, Slack, and Canva or Adobe
● Creating dashboards and trackers
● Writing summaries, briefs, and general notetaking
What Else Should You Know About Us?
● Our framework is economic democracy. A willingness to learn more about it and ask
questions is key. Our team is willing to share and discuss, as well as provide suggestions
● Black liberation is the approach we take as our explicit intention to center local economic
development as a means for advancing self-determination for Black people and people of
● Community is the center of our work. Our organization exists to expand the capacity of the
existing assets in the neighborhoods and communities we work with. We facilitate and
coordinate in a manner to amplify the work of our partners and advance their desired
impact. Working here requires one to orient and relate to others through a strength and
asset-based approach; not deficits and pathologies.
● We believe in continuous improvement. We try, evaluate, learn, and improve.
● Our processes are iterative. Revision and drafts are part of getting to the best product.
● Teamwork means open and empathetic listening, clear communication on successes and
challenges, active participation in solution-making, and a willingness to support the
workflows of colleagues.
● You matter to us. We seek to support and create experience for the professional
development of our staff.
What is the Compensation for this position?
● $45,000 to $50,000, full benefits (health & dental insurance, Generous PTO, and more), full
How Do I Apply?
To apply, please go online and fill out our job application. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling
People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged
to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing
career development opportunities.
BCDI is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discriminatory employment actions and
treatment against employees and applicants for employment based on actual or perceived race,
color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation,
gender identity or expression, familial status, family responsibilities, matriculation, political
affiliation, genetic information, disability, source of income, past incarceration, status as a victim
of an intrafamily offense, or place of residence or business. Sexual harassment is a form of sex
discrimination, which is prohibited by law, as is harassment based on any of the above-protected