The Finance Manager (FM) is a full-time exempt position that is responsible for the proper maintenance of the agency’s financial records and systems in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and for providing necessary support to the DFA. The FM is responsible for day-to-day accounting operations and provides useful financial insights that help guide decision-making and support NCS’s mission.
- Supervise Staff Accountant in such areas as accounts payable, accounts receivables, purchase orders, cash receipts, etc.
- Maintain Accounts Payables and Receivable ledger including reconciliation, input journal entries and accruals at the end of each month, and reconcile bank accounts and manage credit cards reconciliation
- Manage the monthly close process in an accurate and timely manner, including preparation and recording of releases from donor-restricted net assets and review of expense transactions to ensure coding aligns with appropriate funding sources;
- Oversee Payroll by biweekly processing, working with payroll vendor and ensure accurate recording of check register reports into accounting system.
- Ensure accuracy of employee deductions in collaboration with the Human Resources department.
- Prepare monthly and year-end financial reports.
- Assist DFA with financial reporting, cash flow analysis, and monthly review of balance sheet
- Manage the financial recording of all grants, restricted and unrestricted.
- Maintain all aspects of a general ledger that supports active financial management and donor reporting.
- Fiscal management, billing and compliance with requirements of government and private funding sources. Liaise with government funders by managing the financial aspect of the relationships.
- Support government contracting, contract modification, CFR reporting, and invoicing processes, liaising with the Program and Development departments whenever necessary.
- Prepare variance reports for government grant funds, perform analysis with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate, and provide support to Program leads to ensure understanding and accuracy of reports.
- Coordinate Medicare Managed Care billing with biller and the Staff Accountant.
- Review private grants and contributions for restrictions and perform inquiries and analysis to identify net assets to release. Prepare grant budgets and reports for Development, as requested.
- Manage annual audits and tax filings in collaboration with DFA, accountants and financial advisors and any other on-site reviews of the agency’s financial records and/or systems.
- Assist DFA in developing annual budget for the organization and individual programs.
- Partner with stakeholders within the organization to review grant agreements and compliance expectations, monitor compliance with grant terms, make improvements to grant compliance processes, and support organization-wide communications and training.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or a related field with at least 5-7 years of experience in a non-profit accounting/financial capacity, MBA or MPA preferred
- Proven track record working with government contracts from such agencies as DHS, DOHMH, etc.
- Excellent computer and financial analysis and reporting skills, especially Excel, and including prior experience with on-line accounting software; Experience with Fund EZ and Paycom a plus.
- Strong English language written and verbal communication skills; Bilingual in Spanish is a plus.
- Collaborative team player with excellent communication skills and ability to relate to different points of view.
- Trustworthy with strong integrity.
- Strong understanding of the practices and procedures of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as applied to financial accounting, reporting, and recording transactions.
- Nonprofit accounting and bookkeeping experience, including accounting for grant and donor funds.
- Experience supporting an annual external audit process and government contract program audits.
- Experience managing the consolidation of financial reports across multiple entities.
- Understanding and implementation of internal controls.
- Must be highly organized and detail oriented.
- Must meet the highest standards of ethics and personal integrity.
COMPENSATION: The pay range for this role is from $55,000 – $75,000 per year.