Reporting to the Community School Director at Queens Technical High School, the Family Engagement Specialist is responsible for promoting family wellness, strengthening community partnerships, and operating as a liaison between programs, school, and home settings. Through an integrated focus on academic services, socio-emotional support, and improved student learning, we can make our community stronger.
This position will be part of our Youth and Family Services offered at Sunnyside Community Services, which includes a pre-kindergarten program, after-school programs for elementary and middle school students, high school job readiness, career readiness, enrichment programming, as well as Adult and Immigrant Services.
- Build communication and relationships with parents and caregivers.
- Conduct outreach and communicate regularly with parents using various mediums such as phone calls, automated messaging, and social media.
- Facilitate parent workshops, groups, and advisory meetings as needed.
- Update the community resource directory as needed.
- Collaborate with the Parent Association to connect families to resources.
- Track attendance on Salesforce and other databases for parents enrolled in activities and workshops.
- Submit regular program reports and attendance sheets, and complete other administrative duties as assigned.
- Meet with stakeholders to share progress, challenges, and best practices as needed.
- Mentor a caseload of 2-5 students.
- Collaborate constructively with coworkers and communicate regularly with the Community School Director.
- Serve as a positive role model and uphold professional behavior.
- Assist with other Sunnyside Youth Futures initiatives, projects, and events as needed.
- Must be 18 years old or older.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- High school diploma required; some college or bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience working with families in a school setting preferred.
- Must have a commitment to work from a strength-based and/or youth development perspective.
- Maintains professionalism working with high school students and families
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to work with diverse cultural, educational, social, and economic students and families.
Schedule: Monday—Friday, 20 hours a week (daytime hours; seasonal until June 30, 2023)
How to Apply
E-mail a cover letter and resume to Madeline Hatcher, Community School Director, at email@example.com. Please indicate “Family Engagement Specialist – Part-Time” in the email subject line.
Please Note: If hired, Sunnyside Community Services requires proof of vaccination as a condition of employment.
Sunnyside Community Services is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Employer.