Position Summary: WHEDco seeks a Social Worker to works directly with children, their families, and providers to assess, engage and provide preventive services. The Social Worker will provide play-based therapy techniques to early childhood children in the South Bronx through individual, group and family modalities, as well as teacher and classroom support. The Social Worker will work collaboratively with families, children, providers and the Education Director/Specialist.
On Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursday, the Social Worker will conduct three to four conferences/playbased therapy. On Mondays and Friday, the Social Worker will follow up with families and providers, schedule next week’s conferences and complete administrative responsibilities, including the timely documentation and data entry of family team conferences, provider conferences, assessments, family and provider communication in WHEDco’s database.
- Provide wraparound services to children and their families.
- Conduct intake assessments with new families.
- Facilitate conferences/play-based therapy sessions; support and incorporate the evidence informed/evidence-based framework during all conferences/sessions.
- Work collaboratively with the providers and the Education Director/Specialist to plan and
execute social emotional learning lessons.
- Maintain regular communication with families and develop family partnerships.
- Providing coaching to families to help ensure stabilization.
- Support providers in implementing IEP.
- Assist families apply for early intervention services as needed.
- Respond to mental health crises; conduct a risk assessment, develop a safety assessment plan,
and involve family and outside agencies as needed.
- Provide individual and group therapy to children identified and use evidence-based methods to
provide those services.
- Provide guidance and education to families on special education and mental health.
- Make referrals to outside resources and mental health services as needed and follow-up on such
- Participate in the team decision making recommendations to case planners, supervisor and
other service providers, including referrals and potential resources.
- Collaborate and strengthen partnerships with community representatives to ensure
participation and involvement in conferences.
- Complete administrative responsibilities, including the timely documentation and data entry of
family team conferences, provider conferences, assessments, family and provider
communication in WHEDco’s database.
- Participate in staff meetings to connect about individual providers, families, and coordinate all
- Participate in staff professional learning sessions.
- Assist in ongoing outreach, enrollment, and all other administrative tasks supporting all
- Other tasks assigned by the Network Director and Education Director.
- MSW degree required; licensure preferred.
- Three years of experience working with families and young children
- Experience working with early intervention and other service providers required.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be a team player; able to build relationships and motivate stakeholders with diverse
personalities and backgrounds.
- Able to proactively multi-task and adapt to changing and competing needs.
- Experience in MS Office (including Excel and PowerPoint) and excellent overall computer and
- Appreciation for the unique needs of all providers and families.
Salary: $55-65k annually, based on experience