In collaboration with the program director, school principal and other key stakeholders, the Cooking Instructor will supervise a group of 15 students as they participate in all extended day activities with the WHEDco-Extended School Day Program at The Highbridge Green School, with special attention to activities that will promote the health and well-being of all students enrolled.
- Supervise a group of up to 15 students
- Facilitate select activities and maintain the health and well-being of all students enrolled.
- Explain techniques and safety procedures for youth participants and demonstrate appropriate use of materials and equipment.
- Establish clear objectives for lessons, units, and projects, and communicate those objectives to the students
- Assist with program set-up and clean-up.
- Oversee progressive development of student skills leading to a final project.
- Take attendance.
- Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities.
- Evaluate activity to determine if they are producing desired results and adapt accordingly.
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students’ varying needs and interests.
- Encourage positive character development in all youth. • Perform other related duties as required.
- Must be knowledgeable and skilled in cooking and have prior experience successfully working with middle school youth groups.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Must have the ability to lead participants in-group activities, especially leading enrichment and recreational activities.
- Must have a demonstrated interest in the field of education and youth development.
- A minimum of two years of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required.
- Demonstrate appreciation and understanding of group management and child development.
- Ability to accept supervision and guidance.
- Able to work late afternoons and/or evenings including from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Well-organized, able to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.
- Current, active college enrollment or college degree preferred.
- Previous work experience in low-income communities preferred.
Competitive hourly rate based on experience. This is a part-time hourly position