DreamYard is seeking an experienced and dynamic individual to lead the work at PS 51 Bronx STEM & Arts Academy – one of our longstanding partners and Community Schools in the Bronx. The Community School Site Director works with a team of DreamYard staff and school personnel to implement core components of the community school initiative including attendance interventions, parent engagement activities, social and emotional wellness programs, and community outreach, as well as oversee DreamYard social justice arts education programming and partnerships. Candidates must have supervision, project management, and administrative experience, as well as program development and youth work experience.
School & Community Partnerships
- Develop strong relationships with NYC DOE administrators, teachers, parents and students, especially through existing school leadership bodies such as the School Cabinet and School Leadership Team (SLT).
- Work collaboratively with school administrators and staff to develop, implement, and assess the Community School initiatives within the school.
- Work with school staff (principals, faculty, guidance counselors, parent coordinators, facilities staff etc.) to conduct quality and safe programming.
- Host forums for ongoing collaboration with members of the community, including parent leaders, school-based organizations and partnering organizations.
- Collaborate with existing CBO partners on programming and space usage.
- Broker new partnerships aligned with school goals and needs.
- Help navigate, secure resources and build/sustain relationships with participants, parents, school staff, other CBOs, etc.
Data Management, Outcomes & Evaluation
- Collaborate with school administration to identify focus areas for school improvement and implement strategic Community School initiatives.
- Maintain student and program documents.
- Assist with data collection, research and prepare relevant data for outcomes evaluation and data-based decision making.
- Identify needs of chronically absent students, apply interventions, and track and monitor impact of interventions on a weekly basis as part of weekly Student Success meetings.
- Manage and conduct attendance outreach, recruitment and retention services including attendance monitoring/data review, data entry, conferences, attendance incentive activities and phone calls.
- Remain informed on current Community Schools/Attendance Intervention and Dropout Prevention guidelines and contractor responsibilities; attend provider meetings; CSD trainings and maintain contact with DOE Program Manager.
- Communicate around attendance and engagement metrics to internal and external partners.
Supervision and Management
- Provide overall support, management and supervision of five school-based staff, including daily management of tasks, facilitate weekly staff check-ins, daily program observations with immediate feedback, and performance evaluations.
- Review and approve staff time sheets and school sign-in sheets on a bi-weekly basis.
- Ensure DreamYard and school staff members are aware of changes and new developments to contractual and programmatic guidelines and expectations.
- Manage a sizable budget allocating funds appropriately and with accountability. Manage contracts and MOUs.
- Collaborate with school partner around how to best utilize funds.
School Day and Extended Learning Day Programming
- Link school day to extended day learning opportunities and afterschool programming.
- Coordinate and co-facilitate interactive, experiential program activities for weekly school-day and after-school programs and ensure the implementation of quality programming.
- Organize special events, including annual Family Night, Community School Forum, mini-conferences, parent nights, performances, and other events.
- Attend school events, which may happen during after-school hours or weekends.
- Master’s degree in a related field and 5 years related professional experience.
- Experience supervising personnel and managing teams required.
- Experience working within the New York City Department of Education and knowledge of Department of Education policies and protocols.
- Experience and ability to work with youth and/or use interactive learning strategies in culturally diverse settings.
- Experience managing large contracts and meeting multiple contractual obligations.
- Experience working in school-based settings in areas of community organizing/outreach, student support services, and youth development.
- Ability to work collaboratively and build strong relationships with school administrators, teachers and community partners.
- Knowledge of and passion for global issues, political science, history, education and social activism.
- Excellent facilitation, consensus-building and interpersonal skills.
- Strong work ethic, highly organized, proactive, creative, willing to learn, and able to juggle multiple tasks independently.
- Strong communication and technology skills.
- International experience and fluency in Bengali or Spanish is a plus.