JOB SUMMARY: The Parent Action Committee seeks a bold, creative, and committed community organizer to strengthen and expand our school equity and school justice campaigns. Guided by the Director of Education Organizing, the Community Organizer for School Justice will work with parents, school staff, and community organizations to organize campaigns to improve schools in District 9, the Bronx, and throughout New York City.
Job Duties include but are not limited to:
- Base-building and leadership development to engage parents in our campaign work.
- Cultivating relationships with educators and allies, coordinating PAC’s involvement in local and Citywide coalitions.
- Leading campaign development to expand the resources for positive discipline and restorative justice in Bronx schools and Citywide.
- Supports and enhances a culture that respects and honors diversity, invests in professional development, and encourages self-care.
- Work schedule includes some evenings and weekends.
- Perform other duties as reasonably requested.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred
- Multilingual in other languages spoken by communities in the Bronx a plus
- Associates Degree or higher preferred
- Ability to communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds, of various ages, as well as a range of other organizational personnel in a courteous and professional manner
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential in addition to excellent follow-up skills
- High level of technical proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Highly motivated and dedicated to the organizational mission
- Extremely organized/detail oriented and able to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Work schedule includes evenings and some weekends
- Candidates must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 to be considered for employment. Proof of vaccination is required upon hiring. Applicants may seek medical or religious exemption from this requirement in accordance with applicable law.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- The ability to sit, stand, walk and use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone to talk and hear.
- The ability to frequently sit and reach with hands and arms.
- The ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Working Conditions: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to utilize office equipment such as desktop/notebook computers, copiers, printers, scanners, telephones, and calculators.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Employment is at will and employees will undergo 45- and 90-day check-ins during their 90-day probationary period.
NOTICE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the environment and level of work being performed by this job. This job description in no way states or implies that the duties and responsibilities listed are the only tasks to be performed by the employee in this job. The employee will be required to follow other instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. This job description supersedes prior job descriptions. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the job description will be reviewed and subject to changes of business necessity.
New Settlement is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions expected of an employee. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of you as an employee. You may be asked to perform other duties as required.
$50,000.00 – $55,000.00 per year
Community Organizer for School Justice
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.