College Readiness Advisor – College Access Center
The Career Readiness Advisor works with students, alumni, employers, and community partners to provide comprehensive career services. The Career Readiness Program helps students develop professional career readiness skills, connecting students through recruitment, educational opportunities, providing one-to-one student assistance in aligning career interests with academic decisions; and assisting students and graduates to transition to a related occupation in the workforce.
Job Duties include but not limited to:
- Conduct one-on-one advising with Success participants regarding career interests and strategies, job search methods, career exploration, experiential learning, internship searches, mentoring opportunities, and resume/application critiques, networking tips and interview preparation.
- Supporting and developing students’ career skills to ensure they are prepared for post-graduation opportunities.
- Oversee the Success Internship Program (SIP): Review applications and select twenty-five students; Coordinate and assist in student job search readiness, search execution, including scheduling employment interviews and job placement for students, and conduct follow-up activities.
- Create curriculum on job skills, work readiness, and career exploration.
- Assist in planning and executing year-round calendar of career services programming, including develop and/or facilitate workshops on skill development/career readiness or exploration of relevant career opportunities; organize job fairs and other employer events.
Organize and implement special activities/events (job shadowing, resume clinics, career panels, etc.) which assist students to identify and define career interests for exploration.
- Solicit, develop and cultivate internship and or job opportunities with private and public sector employers, including small businesses.
- Regularly engage students and graduates via social media, phone, email, in-person, and professional platforms.
- Work collaboratively with the Success team to enhance the student experience (academic, personal, and professional development).
- Prepare students for job fairs, meetings, company visits and other recruiting events, including resume reviews and mock interviews.
- Conduct research to identify employers of interest to students, maintain positive relationships with local employers.
- Record onto Salesforce database in real-time: students’ progress including but not limited to student interests and activities, SMART goals, attendance outreach, individual counseling, career and college advisement and exploration, service and volunteer activities, and other information as required by program
- Administrative: managing student payroll
- Attend and participate in-school / community-based meetings, administrative meetings, professional development trainings relevant to student needs/ issues and other meetings as needed
- Meet established goals and objectives and other tasks as provided by the Director.
Perform miscellaneous duties as assigned.
- Experience in college career services or related environment. (Preferred)
- Experience working with diverse populations and youth development.
- A demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team; demonstrated willingness to take initiative and aptitude to work independently.
- Good organizational skills and ability to effectively plan, coordinate, and oversee events.
- Skilled in use of online career resources, networking platforms, career center management system and other online resources.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain professional relationships with students, alumni, employers and colleagues.
- Excellent written, verbal, and oral communication skills.
- Technical/computer skills needed include (but not limited to): experience using Microsoft Office Suite including PowerPoint, Experience with Microsoft Office platforms, electronic communications and databases.
- Strong attention to detail and time management skills are required.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to make evaluative judgments.
- Ability to develop and deliver presentation.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required and 2+ years of work experience with young adults, and career coaching.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- The ability to sit, stand, walk and use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone to talk and hear.
- The ability to frequently sit and reach with hands and arms.
- The ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Working Conditions: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to utilize office equipment such as desktop/notebook computers, copiers, printers, scanners, telephones, and calculators.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Career Readiness Advisor
Cindy Concepcion, Magdelline Pimentel
New Settlement, Bronx, NY