JOB SUMMARY: Reporting to the Director of the College Access Center delivers comprehensive advisement support services to the community regarding educational goals and evaluates academic options with them. Will be responsible for organizing events and facilitating meaningful workshops.
Job Duties include but not limited to:
- Identify, encourage and assist a caseload of 60 – 75 students with information regarding education options beyond high school, including institutional choice, career options, admissions and financial aid.
- Maintain knowledge of CUNY, SUNY and private school admissions, SAT/ACT testing requirements, and FAFSA and TAP processes to assist students and families in making educated decisions about college.
- Develop and implement curricula for workshops and events focused on topics of relevance to first-generation college students.
- Organize and chaperone students on college visits or field trips related to the college admissions process.
- Build partnerships and effective relationships with college administrative, career services, financial aid, and other offices to advocate for students and assist them in reaching their goals.
- Track, evaluate and report on student and program performance for on-going program improvement and growth.
- Stay current on the latest trends in college access and success.
- Conducts regular outreach to faculty and other college staff as needed to support student success.
- Maintains accurate tracking data and notes for each assigned student, recommending appropriate referrals and opportunity programs.
- Supports and enhances a culture that respects and honors diversity, invests in professional development and encourages self-care.
- Demonstrate commitment to community building, and community organizing as strategies for social change.
- Perform other duties as reasonably requested.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Experience counseling students on post-secondary education options, knowledge of U.S. higher education system, especially New York City and State, familiarity with financial aid and college application process, and/or experience networking and building organization relationships, a plus.
- Strong commitment to strengthening a program and an environment that supports the academic achievement and access to higher education of youth and adults of low income, immigrants and others who will be the first in their families to attend college.
- Experience advising, mentoring, and/or counseling young people of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with a team.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred; other languages welcomed.
- Ability to relate to persons of diverse backgrounds
- Commitment to providing affordable housing for low-to-moderate income population
Candidates must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 to be considered for employment. Proof of vaccination is required upon hiring. Applicants may seek medical or religious exemption from this requirement in accordance with applicable law.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands/working conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- The ability to sit, stand, walk and use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone to talk and hear.
- The ability to frequently sit and reach with hands and arms.
- The ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- The ability to work Monday through Friday, 10am-6pm with the occasional Saturday.
- Must be able to utilize office equipment such as desktop/notebook computers, copiers, printers, scanners, telephones, and calculators.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Cindy Concepcion, Magdelline Pimentel