HOPE is seeking an Employment Specialist who will support HOPE students (primarily young adults 18-29) as they seek post-program employment. The position reports to the Assistant Director of Employment. This is a hybrid position, working out of HOPE’s South Bronx location at 1360 Garrison Avenue twice weekly.
The Employment Specialist will provide dedicated one-on-one support job search and job connection for YouthBuild, Sustainable South Bronx, Intervine, and CoolRoofs completers. The Employment Specialist will work with students in the classroom phase of the program to understand their career plans, review their base-line resume and cover letters and interview skills. Once the classroom phase ends, the Employment Specialist will work with students to assist them in searching for in-person and remote work and connect them to jobs along their career pathways in a variety of sectors, including maintenance and construction.
- Build relationships and manage a caseload of up to 100 new students (primarily young adults) who complete programs annually, ensuring that 80% of them connect to work within 90 days.
- Through the use of motivational interviewing and a holistic, student-centered approach, provide consistent and high quality employment-focused engagements to ensure that students are qualified candidates for the job opportunities that they seek. More specifically,
- Partner with students on their short and long term career goals and decisions.
- Ensure all students have a complete employment portfolio, including resumes, cover letters, and references, and support in tailoring materials and practicing for interviews for open positions.
- Screen students to HOPE-developed job opportunities with trusted employers.
- Research potential jobs and if necessary, training-related job opportunities for students and ensure they are equipped for self-directed job search.
- Maintain communication with students regarding applications, interviews, hiring, new hire follow-up, and documentation for reporting to the Director.
- Secure proof of employment for new hires and facilitate a smooth handoff to the Retention Associate.
- Support a culture of #HOPE4Life where program completers remain engaged with HOPE and pay it forward when they can.
Student Feedback and Data Entry
- As a student-centered organization seeking to successfully match students to sustainable career pathways, share student and employer feedback with the Assistant Director and other teams.
- Conduct timely data entry in Salesforce and document preparation for soft and hard copy files on services and outcomes.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the duties in this job classification.
- At least three years of case management experience working with a portfolio of 50+ young adults (ages 18-29) preferred
- Demonstrated ability to meet program goals. (This position is measured against placement rate).
- Excellent oral and written organizational and communication skills Bronx EmploymentSpecialist
- Experience documents interactions with clients and using a CRM (HOPE uses Salesforce)
- Google suite, Zoom, and Internet research proficiency
- Someone who is able to build rapport with a wide range of clients and practices client-centered counseling
- Must be a strong team player who works well independently
- Problem solver, flexible and adaptable