Academic Resource Center Specialist – Student Success Coaching Unit
The Student Success Coaching Unit (SSCU) at Hostos Community College welcomes new incoming students and commits to supporting continuing students in academic, personal, and professional development. Success Coaches work one-on-one with new incoming students from orientation to graduation. Students are assigned a Success Coach who will work with them on an individual basis in guiding them to degree completion. Students can speak to their Success Coaches about: academic planning, campus club activity, registering for classes, study skills, career exploration, balancing your academic and personal life. The Unit also connects students with various resources throughout the campus in order to support their academic journey at Hostos.
The Student Success Coaching Unit seeks applications for multiple coaches. Reporting directly to the Associate Director, the selected candidate will be responsible but not limited to the following:
- Develops personal, collaborative relationship with assigned students and provides individualized advisement, guidance, and ongoing feedback.
- Assesses student needs and connects them to existing college resources; identifies resources to enhance both academic success and personal development.
- Assists in the implementation of action plans to achieve student-defined success.
- Encourages students to achieve self-awareness and identify their strengths, values and interests as well as developing decision-making skills.
- Serves as a member of a project-area-team; responsible for producing work related to an assigned area.
- Reorient students readmitting to the college to acclimate them back to college life.
- Supports students in honing time management skills to better utilize time, prioritize commitments and meet deadlines.
- Conducts regular outreach to assigned caseload of students regarding academic progression and to troubleshoot progression barriers.
- Monitors students who are struggling academically and intervenes using an early alert system via Starfish, internal recovery program, and referrals to faculty learning resources and/or college Student Development services.
- Tracks student success based on University and College Wide Retention Performance indicators; evaluates, documents and reports on student academic participation and progress.
Bachelor’s degree and four years’ related experience required.
The following qualifications are preferred:
- Experience working in a college setting area
- Working knowledge of CUNY systems
- Availability to work evening and weekend hours
Candidates will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Exemption (medical or religious) requests to this requirement will be considered in accordance with applicable law. Being fully vaccinated is defined for this purpose as being at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. Final candidates must be fully vaccinated as of their first day of employment.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Administers the activities of a learning resource or support center.
- Supports the design and delivery of academic resources such as tutoring, remedial and other student programs and services, delivered in a variety of modes, including on-line
- Produces and administers training programs, lectures, workshops, seminars and special events
- Collaborates with various College offices to improve student and faculty services; implements new services and assures existing services are effectively provided.
- Serves as resource expert for students and faculty regarding center policies and procedures, and if needed, technology issues related to their learning experience
- May assist and/or supervise office operations and/or department budget
-Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Academic Resource Center Specialist
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
$51,242 – $63,328; Commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY’s benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must apply online by accessing the CUNY website at www.cuny.edu and navigate to the following links: “Employment” and “Search Job Postings”
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and three professional references.
*Candidates will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Exemption (medical or religious) requests to this requirement will be considered in accordance with applicable law. Being fully vaccinated is defined for this purpose as being at least two weeks past their final dose an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. Final candidates must be fully vaccinated as of their first day of employment.
Open until filled with review of applications to begin June 30, 2022.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.